Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A new personal best


It was an amazing adventure. I pushed fate to its limit and came up victorious. This weekend my car, Abigale, was on E. Gassing my car up is among one of those annoying things that I hate doing like cleaning my closet, sweeping my garage and getting the mail. Luckily, J will generally get out and do it if I pull up to a station and he is in the car. Love his genteel. So sometimes I will wait until he is with me to fill up. But last week it didn't happen. It had been on empty with the gas light on for like a day when we decided to go to a movie in WV. I wanted to take Abigale so I could finally gas her up but I under-estimated exactly how low I was. Lower than I had ever seen it. Ever. Even so, I was up to the challenge and couldn't resist the potential feeling of accomplishment when I set a new gas gauge record. We made it to the movie, but since we were late I may or may not have done a little bit of hot-rodding on the way over and leaving the theater we were lower than I had ever even imagined it could go. I was scared that I had flown too close to the sun. But there was a Costco station across the way, and J reassured me that if we run out of gas he could push it to the station. Well when we got over there it was closed. Crap. We realize that there wasn't a gas station, that we knew of, for about two miles. It was raining and it was cold, which upped the suck factor should we run out. I'll spare you the dramatics and my theatrical inner monologue that played in my head, which may or may not have included the line "playing a dangerous game." But we did end up making it to another station with the needle the lowest it has ever been and less than a 1/5 of a gallon to spare. I can drink a fifth of a gallon of propel in one minute. It was a new personal best and I think I even gave Kramer a run for his money. But don't worry Dad, I won't be doing that again anytime soon, unless someone one-ups me.

4 comments:

amelia said...

Last time we attempted this, our car died getting off the freeway in Mesquite and coasted... 1/4 mile away from the gas station. I am impressed.

jules said...

ALL HAIL EMPRESS JACELLE.... i fly close to the sun... often. it may explain the small handful of times i've run out of gas within 200 feet of a gas station...

Grace said...

I, too hate gasing up my car. I, too usually have my man do it. However, one time I was at USU and I told a girl I was on "E". She asked me how long? I said all day! She said oh that's not good, you shouldn't do that it messes with your mind and hormones and stuff. Wait a minute... Oh ecstasy, right. My bad(: Yeah ecstasy is bad.

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Grace you crack me up!