Friday, February 24, 2012

Dear Tyler Perry,

I don't watch horror movies because I really can't deal with gratuitous violence and unlikely story lines - but mostly I hate the feeling of ick that usually accompanies you for a day or so after you watch one. Well Tyler, given my current feeling of ick, your movies are officially now in my horror movie category. I mean it's not like I was ever a HUGE fan of yours, but like most people I love me some Madea. Even though those movies have kind of a shallow and predicable plot and the majority of the cast, though devastatingly good looking, are terrible at acting, the Madea character made it all worth while.
But the last two of your movies I have seen, Why Did I Get Married 2 and For Colored Girls were painful beyond description. Basically you take two movies and pack them with the most negative and horrific circumstances you can think of and then throw credits at the end. Why? I get that you are probably trying to paint a realistic picture of life, maybe to make up for some fluff films you have done in the past, but this is me tappin' out. There's a limit Tyler.
Last night when I was watching For Colored Girls (I decided to check it out because it had some awesome actresses including Clair Huxtable) I knew what I was getting into and I decided to prepare for it - thinking "ok this is going to happen to this girl, this to this girl etc." I was pretty creative and dark in my predictions since you can never be too prepared (I don't want to give specifics because I don't want to ruin anyone's day). But my conjectures weren't dark or bizarre enough because what actually happened in the movie was way worse than almost all my predictions. If I could just read the poems in the movie on my own I would have gotten much more from them.
Why does a movie exploring the lives and issues of women of color have to be so crass and dark? I mean sure, things like that happen out there, to everyone. But why not throw in a few triumphs too? I'm a girl of color and I know a few others too. Give me a call and I can maybe help you out with some realistically positive perspectives that you clearly need. Critics rarely had anything good to say about the movie, one calling it a "brave failure." Anyway the ick from this movie will probably stick around for a day or two, that's longer than the residual ick from Paranormal Activity. I guess what I am trying to say is that I miss Madea.

Sincerely
A "Colored" Girl

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.