Friday, October 24, 2008

A maverick stopped by


...Guess who was hangin out at my work this week?

"I didn’t vote again until 1976, when I was nineteen and legally registered. Because I was at college out of state, I sent my ballot through the mail. The choice that year was between Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford. Most of my friends were going for Carter, but, as an art major, I identified myself as a maverick. “That means an original,” I told my roommate. “Someone who lets the chips fall where they may.” Because I made my own rules and didn’t give a damn what anyone else thought of them, I decided to write in the name of Jerry Brown, who, it was rumored, liked to smoke pot. This was an issue very close to my heart—too close, obviously, as it amounted to a complete waste. Still, though, it taught me a valuable lesson: calling yourself a maverick is a sure sign that you’re not one."
--David Sedaris
From his "Undecided" article in The New Yorker

3 comments:

amelia said...

Wasn't this hilarious? I guess he read it at his SLC performance.

amelia said...

Um and this picture of the John McCain cutout frightens me. I keep thinking I'm going to turn around and see him in my doorway now.

doug said...

I like David Sedaris' bit on undecided voters... About how it's like the flight attendant coming by and saying, "Would you like the chicken, or would you rather have a pile of s**t with broken glass?" :)

And there's this.