Friday, October 10, 2008

Would you like some McLovin' with that?


I got hit on today in a McDonald's drive-through. When I go to McDonald's I always feel a little bit of shame because of the unhealthiness of it...even if I am just getting a fruit parfait or a snack wrap I always just want to get in and get out the "drive-thru of shame." I rarely make eye contact and make sure I have money and everything ready so there is no lingering. Well today (I was actually getting a McMuffin this morning, so the guilt was deserved) I rolled up to the pay window and handed homeboy my card and didn't look at him. He said, "how are you?" I said "Fine, how are you?" And then Chatty-Chad just took off. Well first, let me just say he couldn't have been more than 20 and he didn't have the physical characteristics that you would...ummm..think are typical of..uhhhhh..someone that would have the confidence or bravado to randomly hit on customers. So I was caught off guard when he replied to my obligatory "how are you" with "I have a really pretty girl at my window, so as far as I am concerned it's a good day." I smiled at that because I was trying to process what I heard. Hearing that is like hearing a swear word in church. You may get hit on at the mall or at a club, sure. But by a McDonald's employee in a drive-thru?? It just didn't fit. He didn't stop there. After I smiled he said "Oh and that smile? You're killing me with that.." By this time I had to resist the urge to honk at the car in front of me to hurry the hell up because I was getting a bit uncomfy. Then he said "your husband or boyfriend must feel like the luckiest guy." Then he looked at my vacant ring finger and said "boyfriend right?" And I confirmed. The car ahead of me pulled forward and I was released from Awkward Town. But here's the thing...that kid is going to go far in life. Sure he is working at a McDonald's drive-through now..but if at that young of an age he is already listening to that voice that says "go for it" - despite staggering odds - think where he will be in 10 years. Plus he clearly does this often so he is becoming immune to the fear of failure. As I was driving away from there, about to indulge in a 300+ calorie breakfast the awkwardness melted away to admiration. Kudos Chatty-Chad, your going places, just not today.

4 comments:

doug said...

!!!! :) I always told you you get hit on anywhere and everywhere! Remember Mr. Home Tour? I love this post. :)

WendyL said...

ditto to Dougums...and I'd add Utah Jazz games and Wal-Mart to the list (while your boyfriend was there, nonetheless)

amelia said...

...but hot Wells Fargo bank guy? ALL MINE.

Seriously though, you do get hit on everywhere. Before this, it was Random Black Man #1,643, this one outside of your workplace. It's those hypnotic lips.

Ted and Amanda said...

Its the eyes, you have the most rockin eyes!